Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Corporation and 1099-misc

Question
I formed a corporation in 2011 and reported a loss.
For 2012 tax year, I had a profit of $13k for my corporation. All my expenses for the corporation are being reported on the corporation forms.
I issued myself a 1099-misc in the amount of $32,000 because I was the only employee of the business.
Do I write off expenses on a SCH C for the $32,000 or do I need a K1?

Answer
Diego,

Thanks for your question.

Writing yourself a 1099 from your corporation is inappropriate and is likely to get the attention of the IRS.

You need to pay yourself a "reasonable salary" complete with payroll deductions.  This is an IRS requirement.

If you have elected S Corp status, you would also issue yourself a K-1 for the profit (not distributions) earned by the business.  If you are not an S corp the Business must pay taxes on the profits and any distributions to you would be taxable to you as dividends.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA