Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Depreciation on Rental Property

Question
We purchased a home in 4/2003 and lived in it until 9/2006 when we converted it to rental property.

#1 Is the placed in service date the date we began living in it or the the date of conversion to business use?

#2 I understand that for Cost Basis I must use the lesser of Fair Market Value of the home or our cost plus improvements. The Fair Market Value of the structure on 9/2006 was 129,950, much less than the cost we paid plus the $$ we spent on improvements. Since these improvements (new roof, new A/C system, kitchen remodeling) were done to the structure prior to converting it to business use, can we list these improvements separately for depreciation or is depreciation only allowed for improvements/additions made after the date it was placed in service?

Thank you!

Answer
Ronda,

Thanks for your question.

1. The placed in service date is the date is was placed into service as a rental unit.

2. No, the improvements were in place when it was converted, they are included in the FMV on teh date it was placed in service.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA