Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/per-diem

Question
Dear Sir,
I am a flight attendant. I have taxable and non-taxable per diem each month on my pay check.
There are services that prepare flight crew income tax returns and I was told that they use the per-diem as a deduction.
I am confused though....can I only use the per-diem that is listed as "taxable" per diem or can I also deduct the "non-taxable" per diem? I cannot ever seem to exceed my standard deduction each year even with my interest on my home and maybe this will help.
Thank you for your assistance.
Rose

Answer
Rose,

Thanks for your question.

Basically you can only deduct the taxable per diem.  The way it works, though is that, on Form 2106 you list your entire travel expenses (most likely just the per diem, but there could be other expenses).  Then you subtract the amount reimbursed for the non-taxable per diem.  This net amount carries over to Schedule A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.  However, you can only deduct the portion that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA