Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Forgiven debt and Form 982

Question
We took out a home equity loan of $500,000 and used the money to loan to our Construction company C Corp. With the terrible real estate market, the company lost all of this money. We were able to get a settlement from the bank. We paid $125,000 and the bank forgave $375,000, for which we received a 1099c. We qualify for the insolvency exemption. What tax attribute do I reduce on Form 982? I do not want to reduce the basis in our home, even though it was the security for the loan. I want to reduce the amount that the company owes me on the loan, basically forgiving it the debt. Can I put the full amount of $375,000 on Line 10A?
Thank you for any help.

Answer
Suzanne,

Thanks for your question.

What you did with the proceeds and what was pledged for the loan are two separate, unrelated items for this purpose.

The loan was on the house, you must reduce the basis in the house.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA