Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 1099-MISC, Box 3 (Other Income)

Question
I am a veterinarian and receive a W-2 from my veterinary employer.

From a pharmaceutical company, I received a 1099-MISC with an amount ($816) in box 3 (Other Income). I am not employed by the pharmaceutical company however my employer does sell its products. The $816 I received from the pharmaceutical company was in the form of a prepaid visa card. For each point that I earned, $1 was loaded onto the card. Points were earned throughout 2012.

The rewards card did have a stipulation that any money accrued must be used to reward/recognize coworkers. Recognizing the veterinary technicians on technician appreciation day with gift cards is one example of how I used this money. I spent only a fraction of the $816 that accumulated. The residual amount is available for use in 2013.   

Should my 1099-MISC box 3 amount be reported/taxed at the federal level and if so what are my options to report it in a way that recognizes the fact that it had to be used for business-related expenses?

Answer
Nicole,

Thanks for your question.

I would report it on Schedule C showing the $816 as income and taking a deduction for the amounts that you gave to the techs.

This will create a problem since you did not use all of it, there will be tax to pay on the "profit."  If the remaining amount is under $400 you will pay only income tax and not self-employment tax on the amount.  Next year, you can show a loss for the amounts paid the techs.  But if you have to pay SE tax, that cannot be recouped.

Hope this helps.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA