You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 1099-MISC, Box 3 (Other Income)


I am a veterinarian and receive a W-2 from my veterinary employer.

From a pharmaceutical company, I received a 1099-MISC with an amount ($816) in box 3 (Other Income). I am not employed by the pharmaceutical company however my employer does sell its products. The $816 I received from the pharmaceutical company was in the form of a prepaid visa card. For each point that I earned, $1 was loaded onto the card. Points were earned throughout 2012.

The rewards card did have a stipulation that any money accrued must be used to reward/recognize coworkers. Recognizing the veterinary technicians on technician appreciation day with gift cards is one example of how I used this money. I spent only a fraction of the $816 that accumulated. The residual amount is available for use in 2013.   

Should my 1099-MISC box 3 amount be reported/taxed at the federal level and if so what are my options to report it in a way that recognizes the fact that it had to be used for business-related expenses?


Thanks for your question.

I would report it on Schedule C showing the $816 as income and taking a deduction for the amounts that you gave to the techs.

This will create a problem since you did not use all of it, there will be tax to pay on the "profit."  If the remaining amount is under $400 you will pay only income tax and not self-employment tax on the amount.  Next year, you can show a loss for the amounts paid the techs.  But if you have to pay SE tax, that cannot be recouped.

Hope this helps.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.