Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gifted bond tax liability

Question
A close family friend died and left me several series EE US bonds. They were cashed and interest accrued was about $8,000.00. Am I responsible for the tax on that interest and is the interest and money from bond maturity both added to my ordinary income?

Answer
Randall,

Thanks for your question.

Assuming that the deceased did not pay tax on the interest as it was earned, you would be responsible for the tax on the interest you received.  Most likely interest was not paid on it, as that is the most common practice with EE bonds.  You will not owe tax on the principal amount of the bonds.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA