Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/HSA overcontribution

Question
This is a follow-up to an earlier msg I sent to you regarding an overcontribution I had to my HSA in 2012.

Well, I took your advice and called my HSA administrator and told them that I accidentally overcontributed $430 to my HSAs in 2012, so they cut a check back to me.

I have already input all my W2 data and HSA data into Turbotax and sure enough, my HSA deduction on page 1 has been reduced from the max $6,250 to $5,820.  Now that I have received that check from my HSA administrator, what do I do?  Report the $430 as income in 2012? Do I need to request another W2 from my employer?

Answer
Trey,

Thanks for your follow up.

Since the HSA deduction has been reduced, you don't need to include it as income.  As I understand it, the correction will appear on a subsequent statement from your HSA administrator.  At this point, you don't need to do anything special.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA