Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Illinois personal state income tax

Question
Dear Mr. Stancil,

My girlfriend has been in the military for around 7 years. She was living in Illinois when she joined and since then has been stationed outside of the state. Her W2 says Illinois but they never took out money. For the past 5 years she's filed a non-resident state return. She believes that because she didn't work or live in the state that she didn't owe state taxes. She has not claimed residence or paid taxes in any other state.

2011 she didn't file a state tax return. She's wondering if it's ok to still file non-resident taxes? Or does she need to claim resident for the past 7 years to Illinois and owe tens of thosands of dollars?

She is very afraid of the second option.

Your thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time.

Joe

Answer
Joe,

Thanks for your question.

I hate to break the bad news to you, but when someone enters the military, their state of residence when the joined is usually their state of residence for the entire time they are serving in the military.

This might be of some assistance.  http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/militarylaw1/a/homeofrecord.htm

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA