Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/income loss

Hi john, in 2011 I had a loss of personal loan in the amount of $6400.
I reported $3000 loss because I think that's the max for a single year.
In 2012 I have a $5000 loss in the stock market. I cannot declare this due to the remaining $3000 I will need to declare from personal loan. Does this mean I have to declare the stock loss in 2013 and keep carrying over until I declare all loss. Can you explain how to declare loss. In my situation total loss is $8000, from 2011 carry over to loss in 2012

Thanks for your question.

The loss is reported in the year in which it is incurred, on Schedule D (and Form 8949).  Any prior carryover is reflected on Schedule D and is added to the current year loss to determine the amount available.  After the $3,000 is applied to the current year, the remaining will show on Schedule D as a carry forward to future years.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University