Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/inherited IRA

Question
QUESTION: My mother is 82 and has designed me as the beneficiary of her IRA, with the understanding that it will be "shared" among her 4 children upon her death.  It is my understanding, however, that an IRA cannot be split among 4 people.  Before she dies, should I have her change the beneficiary to all 4 children?  Is this something that is allowed?  By doing so, upon her death, would we each then have an IRA worth approx. 1/4 of it's value?
Thank you.

ANSWER: Diane,

Thanks for your question.

Technically, that is correct. What you would have to do would be to cash out the IRA and distribute the funds.  But since you inherited it, the taxes on the withdrawals would be your liability. Of course, you distribute the amounts to your siblings net of the estimate tax effect.

It would be simpler if she just named all four of you as equal beneficiaries.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Hi John:  Thank you for your prompt response.  Another question:  If we left me as the sole beneficiary, would I need to have attained a certain age before I can cash it out?

Answer
Diane,

There is not an easy answer to that.  The quick answer is that as a non-spousal beneficiary you must start taking distributions in the year after death of the owner.  The RMD is based on your age.  You do have the option to withdraw the entire amount within 5 years.  There is no 10% penalty for withdrawal from an inherited IRA but you must pay tax on it.

If there are multiple beneficiaries, the RMD is based on the oldest beneficiary.  This link is a pretty good explanation of the details of an inherited IRA.

http://www.obliviousinvestor.com/inherited-ira-rules/

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA