Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/inheritence tax/1099

Question
My grandmother died in 1990 to which my father and Aunt received inheritence. In 2012 Exxon Mobile contacted my father with additional stock of my grandmother's to which he received and cashed in for 17,000.00.  He was at that time unable to locate his sister as they are estranged. He did however leave messages for her children regarding the stock.  In early 2013 his sister contacted him and he sent half of the 17,000.00 to her in the form of a cashiers check.
My question is 2 part:
First what kind of taxes does he have to pay on this money as he did receive a 1099 form.?
Second how does he handle or recoup any taxes paid due from the money he sent to his sister? Since it was a different year?
My father is elderly and any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Answer
Lori,

Thanks for your question.

The tax would be the difference in his basis, which is the fair market value as of date of death, and the proceeds from the sale.  This would be at the capital gain rate.

He can pay the tax on the full amount and ask the sister to pay him her half. That would be the easiest solution. Alternatively, he could issue her a 1099 for her half.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA