Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/How long to keep financial records

Question
Can you tell me how long I need to keep my old pay statements, income tax returns, and interest and dividend statements that I receive from banks and brokerage accounts?

Answer
Mark,

Thanks for your question.

That varies depends on the type of record.  This chart is a pretty good guideline.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/how-long-to-keep-financial-reco  I would add that, for tax purposes, if there is a record that is still relevant to current tax issues, it should be maintained.  For example, if you have a loss carryforward such as on capital or passive losses, you should maintain those until the underlying transactions creating the loss have expired.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA