Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/mileage deduction

I  work at an office in Laramie, wy,  but for the past three years, I  have had to commute to  Jackson, wy   to work for the summers. The office does archaeology,  and  in the summer, our job  was a  project in  Jackson.  We worked ten days on,  four days off,  and were expected to return to Laramie on our off days. I  received perdiem  for lodging and meals,  but was not reimbursed for the use of my personal vehicle, as a company vehicle was available for travel.  can I deduct my mileage?  it was approximately  600 miles  round trip,  and I made the trip five times.

Thanks for your question.

Normally, you would be able to deduct the mileage at the IRS standard mileage rate.  However, since there was a company car available, the IRS prohibits you from taking a deduction. The choice you made was to drive your own vehicle when alternative transportation was available, so they will not allow the deduction.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University