Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/mileage deduction

Question
I  work at an office in Laramie, wy,  but for the past three years, I  have had to commute to  Jackson, wy   to work for the summers. The office does archaeology,  and  in the summer, our job  was a  project in  Jackson.  We worked ten days on,  four days off,  and were expected to return to Laramie on our off days. I  received perdiem  for lodging and meals,  but was not reimbursed for the use of my personal vehicle, as a company vehicle was available for travel.  can I deduct my mileage?  it was approximately  600 miles  round trip,  and I made the trip five times.

Answer
Dulce,

Thanks for your question.

Normally, you would be able to deduct the mileage at the IRS standard mileage rate.  However, since there was a company car available, the IRS prohibits you from taking a deduction. The choice you made was to drive your own vehicle when alternative transportation was available, so they will not allow the deduction.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA