Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Mother-in-law apartment

Question
I have a mother-in-law apartment that I rent that comprises 25% of my total home square footage. I write the apartment off on my S-Corp form 8825. In regards to Mortgage interest and Real Estate Property tax, can I write off the total amounts on my 1040 if the rental is in part of my home? or would I divide the interest and tax totals by the % of total home square footage and deduct this amount on the Rental Form 8825 and then be able to deduct the remaining on Schedule A of the 1040? I am confused if I can write off the amounts on my 1040 Schedule A because of some verbiage I read that it can't be written off if the dwelling is used as a home as well. I would really appreciate some clarification as to what of these amounts is deductible and on which forms?

Thank you for your assistance. Dawn

Answer
Dawn,

Thanks for your question.

You state that the home is taken as a deduction on your S corp return.  You can only do this if the house is titled in the name of the S corp.  If it is, you cannot deduct anything related to it on your 1040.  

It is either a corporate activity or a personal activity.  If you mingle the two, the IRS (and others) may disregard the corporate entitly.

It is either a corporate property, in which case you report in on the 1120S and  show as income to you the fair rental value of you using the property for personal use.  Or it is a personal use property, in which the entire activity is reported on your 1040.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA