Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Do I need to file

Question
I am asking for my Aunt. I don't think she needs to file, but I am not absolutely sure. She files single and is 72 years old and retired in 2012. In 2012 she had zero earned income. She did receive Social Security benefits- $17,300 and an annual pension- $1206 and a 1099 div- $324. Does she still need to file a return for 2012?
Thanks for your time.

Answer
Robert,

Thanks for your question.

No, her income level is insufficient to require filing a return. One half of her social security plus all her other taxable income must exceed $25,000 for her to be required to file.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA