Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/pension income on state tax return/1099

Question
This is a general question, though it's about my Colorado state individual income tax form. It allows for the "subtraction" of 'pension/annuity income. I have over $15,000 of annual income due to my pension, so I listed that. I was going to attach my 1099 form from my former employer to show the pension income, but on the form it says to only attach 1099 forms that show state income tax withheld, which I had none. So I will follow the instructions and not attach that, but don't they need that to confirm what I put down or do they just take my word for it? Or do they not require that because it is included on my federal tax return, and they get it from there? But if that's the case, I won't be filing the IRS return until after the state form, so they wouldn't have that info yet.  Thanks....sorry if you got this more than once.

Answer
Lee,

Thanks for your question.

Don't worry about it. The state should receive a copy of the 1099, but if they don't they still have access to your IRS return.  It doesn't matter that the federal return will be filed later, because they don't do an immediate match.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA