Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Rental Income

Question
My questions pertains to reporting income from rental property.

Rented real estate used by sister as her residence for less than fair market value for entire year in 2012.  My understanding is that no deductions can be reported against this because it is was rented at less than FMV to a related party, but I must still report the income and can deduct interest and taxes on Sch A.

Where do I report the income I received?  Do I report the income on Page 1 line 21 of Form 1040 (I donít think I report on Sch E)

Thank you

Answer
George,

Thanks for your question.

You've got it right, almost.

The income is reported on line 21 of the 1040.

Any "otherwise deductible" expenses such as mortgage interest and taxes are deductible on Schedule A.  If the interest and taxes are not more than the rental income, you may deduct other expenses to the point you have a zero profit.  The bad side of this is that they are miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% limitation, so it is not likely to help.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA