Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Rental income & repair expenses

Question
Hello John,

My wife & I have another house which I started to do some repairs last year with the purpose of renting it. The receipts are dated 2012. But we had other things going on, and weren't able to focus in the repairs and get them finished, and rented in 2012. So here we are with a bunch of expenses from 2012, but no income from rental. Is there a way to take some advantage from those expenses in out 2012 personal income tax?. Otherwise, if we rent the house during 2013, will we be able to somehow claim all those expenditures in our 2013 personal income tax?

Thank you in advance,

Richard

Answer
Richard,

Thanks for your question.

The expenditures for the repairs should be deducted in the period in which they were paid.  Thus, if you made a repair in 2012 and paid for it then, you should deduct it on your 2012 return.

You must be careful to distinguish between a repair and an improvement.  An improvement is something that extends the life of the house, or adds something to it.  A new room, a new roof, a central air conditioning system are examples of improvements.  These should be capitalized and depreciated over the life of the asset.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA