Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Reporting scholarships

Part of my son's scholarship is taxable, but he is not required to file a tax return because he qualifies under the "five tests" for exemption for dependents in Pub. 501.  Is he still required to file a tax return since part of his scholarship is taxable?

Thanks for your question.

You area confusing two issues.  The "five tests" criteria is the test to determine if he is a qualifying child that allows you to take a dependency exemption for him. This is totally unrelated to whether or not he must file a return.

As a qualifying child, he will not take his own personal exemption if he files.  For 2012, he must file if his unearned income was more than $950 or if his earned income was more than $5,950. A taxable scholarship is considered earned income.  

If he meets this filing threshold he must file; if not, he does not need to file a return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University