Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Sale of hp,e in trust from inheritance

Question
My father died in 2008. Their are two siblings my sister and myself. The stocks were distributed back in 2008 equally to the two siblings while the home was put up for sale. The home was finally sold in the summer of 2012. The home was valued in 2008 at 300,000 but finally sold in 2012 for 220,000 as the market had declined in that area. Thus the value of the home declined by $80,000 between 2008 and 2012 while still in the trust. My sister is saying we can each take a $40,000 loss on the sale of the home from the trust. Is that true ? It really does not make sense to me because it is the last of the inheritance from the trust. Please give your thoughts.

Answer
Bob,

Thanks for your question.

When you receive inherited property, your basis in the property is the fair market value as of date of death.  Therefore, your basis would be $300,000. Selling it for less creates a long-term capital loss which you can deduct on your 1040.  Because is is a capital loss, you can use the loss to offset capital gains plus $3,000. Any  unused loss carries forward indefinitely until used up.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA