Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/sales and property tax

Question
Dr. Stancil,

I reside in Polk County, Florida. I want to make sure I take the maximum deduction for my sales tax. I used the tax table to take my deduction but taxact.com says I can also deduct taxes on my purchased vehicles but only at the general rate. We bought a boat and car during 2012. Do I just look at the sales tax amount on my purchase agreements and calculate what the amount what be at 6%?

Also, for my personal property tax, I read that I can deduct the amount I paid on vehicle registrations that was based on the vehicle's value. How do I find how much of the registration was based on the vehicles value and does this apply to boats as well?

Thanks for your help!

Answer
CJ,

Thanks for your question.

You can take the tax (at 6%) paid on the vehicle and boat.  This amount of tax paid should be shown on your purchase invoice.  Note that there is an additional $50 amount (at least for the car) listed as local or county tax.  That amount is not deductible.

In Florida, the vehicle registration is not based on the value of the vehicle so nothing is deductible there.  Bummer.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA