Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Schedule C/ 1040SE

Carole, I've prepared my own and family members' federal tax returns for years, but I'm a little confused on differences, if any, on the need to file Schedule C vs 1040SE. Will 1040SE always be necessary so I can pay Social Security taxes? Is Schedule C only going to be necessary if I want to recover some of my expenses? Also, if I do some work for a client and receive a 1099MISC, does that necessarily require a 1040SE? Thanks for your time.

Schedule C is the form on which you file to report you revenue and expenses for a business in which you are self-employed.  This is to determine the amount of income tax payable on the earnings.

Schedule SE is to calculate the self-employment (social security and Medicare) tax.

Any time you have earnings in excess of $400 from self-employment you must file Schedule SE.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University