Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Social Security

Question
Hi John,

i worked as a babysitter in 2012 and received $7000 as income. when i filed my taxes i am getting back  $713 as a refund when i filed married jointly with my husband who is unemploy. however, i am trying to understand how my social security is getting affected. the reason i am working is to accumulate credit for  my social security retirement.  i received $7000 and no tax was withheld. i am trying to file but i am getting $713 back. if i am getting money back, how am i contributing to my social security?  can you explain?  i was thinking that social security was going to be withheld once i file.

Answer
Marta,

Thanks for your question.

The social security is not determined automatically, you have to calculate,report and pay it.

You report your babysitting earnings on Schedule C, showing your income and business-related deductions.  The net profit shown there is carried forward to Schedule SE, which is where you calculate your self-employment tax (social security and medicare).  That amount carries forward to the 1040 where it is added to your taxes.  Did you do all this?

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA