Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/State of residency


QUESTION: I lived in MN from Jan-May, Montana June-September, North Dakota October-December. I still have MN license and planning to return to my parent's there in the spring. Not a student, just a wanderer. I registered to vote in ND. What should my state of residency be claimed as?


Thanks for your question.

If you worked in each of those states you would be a part-year resident in each state, filing a tax return as such.

Indicators of residency are voter registration, driver's license, and where your vehicle is registered.  If they aren't the same, you choose which one is prevalent.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Can I claim non-resident in Montana since I neither had a license there nor registered to vote but was just there for a seasonal job?

ANSWER: Not really.  You lived there for 4 months and your job was based there, but it doesn't really make much difference - as a resident or non-resident you would still be subject to Montana tax.

John Stancil, CPA

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: So it wouldn't make my taxes more or less? The system I am using to file with won't let me pick more than one state as residency. I just want to know that it won't cheat the state or me :-)

Probably not.  If you're using free software, it probably has limited capability, but usually you can pick PY for part year.

If you file as a MN resident, you will pay taxes on the earnings in ND and Montana as a non-resident.  You will report all your income to MN but take a credit for taxes paid to ND and Montana.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.