Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/State of residency

Question
QUESTION: I lived in MN from Jan-May, Montana June-September, North Dakota October-December. I still have MN license and planning to return to my parent's there in the spring. Not a student, just a wanderer. I registered to vote in ND. What should my state of residency be claimed as?

ANSWER: Sara,

Thanks for your question.

If you worked in each of those states you would be a part-year resident in each state, filing a tax return as such.

Indicators of residency are voter registration, driver's license, and where your vehicle is registered.  If they aren't the same, you choose which one is prevalent.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Can I claim non-resident in Montana since I neither had a license there nor registered to vote but was just there for a seasonal job?

ANSWER: Not really.  You lived there for 4 months and your job was based there, but it doesn't really make much difference - as a resident or non-resident you would still be subject to Montana tax.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: So it wouldn't make my taxes more or less? The system I am using to file with won't let me pick more than one state as residency. I just want to know that it won't cheat the state or me :-)

Answer
Probably not.  If you're using free software, it probably has limited capability, but usually you can pick PY for part year.

If you file as a MN resident, you will pay taxes on the earnings in ND and Montana as a non-resident.  You will report all your income to MN but take a credit for taxes paid to ND and Montana.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA