Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/State Tax

Question
Hi John,

I want to thank you ahead of time for volunteering your expertise.

I lived in Virginia for all of 2012. For half the year I commuted to North Carolina to work. So I have a W2 for VA and one for NC.

I know I have to file in both and file a non-resident in NC. My question is what W2 income do I report where.

Do I report all income in VA and for NC only the W2 for NC?

thanks,

Joe

Answer
Joseph,

Thanks for your question.

You will have to file in NC as a non-resident, paying tax on your NC earnings.  You will also file as a resident of VA, paying tax on all your earnings.  VA will give you a credit for taxes paid to NC, so you are not double-taxed.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA