You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Stock options tax for non-residents


I was posted by my company to US for 9 months, 5 years back. During that time I received stock options from company which have now matured and I can vest these options. I had moved out of US 3 months after getting stock options and have been a tax-resident in Singapore since (which means that 3 years 9 months of the lock-in period has been spent as Singapore tax resident. Do I have to pay any taxes in US when I vest my options. I also want to highlight that I am not (and have never been) a US Citizen. Thanks for your attention and help on this matter.

Dear Harpreet,

Stock options is a deferred compensation for prior personal services from U.S. sources. You are required to file U.S. non-resident tax return and report this income.


Hope this helps,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.