Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/tax liability

Question
We are senior citizens who have taken in our 46 yo former
foster dtr. who came to us from west coast. She is recovering
from a breakdown for which she was hospitalized for 2 weeks.
This happened after spouse asked for divorce which still is
not in effect. She will need to verify her expenses and we
wondered what if anything we can charge her without incurring
tax liability for ourselves yet satisfying her need for
shelter, board and 24 hr. care. She was with us for 14 yrs up
until her marriage.

Answer
Patricia,

I did answer the part about how much rent your can charge with no tax consequences. "OUT OF POCKET COSTS."  Any other amount you charge for rent is reportable.  If you are not charging fair rental value it is a rental not for profit and reported on line 21 of form 1040.

John Stancil, CPA

Thanks for your question.

If she pays you basically for your out of pocket costs for meals, personal items, etc. You will not have to repor it on your tax return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA