Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Mistake by hired CPA

Question
John,

My wife and I embarked on checking our previous tax returns against software we purchased for accuracy because we suspected that our tax professional might not be filing our taxes correctly.  

We started to think in this manner when we noticed that we may not be eligible for Roth IRA contributions.  After reviewing last year's returns, we found that indeed my wife had contributed to a Roth IRA in a previous year and we should not have based on our earnings.  As such, the tax law says we need to pay a 6% penalty on this contribution amount given the grace period has passed.  

When I contacted our CPA to correct the matter, he refused to fix it and stated that it was not his fault that we were not smart enough not to watch our limits on our investments.  He said it was not his responsibility to look at our investments as our tax professional.  

We are not working to correct the matter ourselves by filing the appropriate forms and paying the penalty, but I am really upset that he is not liable for something like this.  Do we have any recourse in this matter?

Thanks,

Mike

Answer
Mike,

Thanks for your question.

It is the responsibility of the tax return preparer to file a correct return. Knowing the limits is a part of what he should know. Most preparers, especially CPA's, will pay the penalty for a mistake made on their part.

Your best recourse is to contact the state board of accountancy. Contacting the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility would be another option.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA