Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/travel nursing

Question
1) I have heard that one can rent their home as a "vacation rental" while he is away on assignment...in other words, not the full length of the assignment, though how often the vacation rental can be full, making money was not well-answered.  
2) I have also heard one can rent part of his home and perhaps reserve a bedroom or two for himself and his family, renting out to roommates the other rooms.  Any advisement on these concerns?

Answer
Bart,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you can do either of these.  However, the rental income (and expenses) are taxable and reported on Schedule E of your tax return.  As a consequence of renting the house, if the rental activity is significant enough, you may lose the exclusion of gain on the sale of your primary residence, or at least part of it.

There is one exception.  If the house is rented for less than 14 days in a year, the income does not have to be reported.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA