Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 8829

Question
QUESTION: Hi John.  

John on line 11 of form 8829, Business expenses for use of home, do I list the full amount that we paid in property tax for the year ( $3900),then multiply it by the business % from line 7
(10%)on Line 13? Or do I list $390 on line 11 because my designated office is 10% of the house, then multioply that by 10% again for line 13?

Thank You. Richard

ANSWER: Richard,

Thanks for your question.

List the full amount, then multiply it by 10% on line 13.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Hi John,

It looks like I should redo my last year's taxes with the correct figures. Would I have to provide the IRS with anything other than the 1040x,corrected schedule C, corrected 8829 and corrected 1040sse? Do you accept clients from this site? What would your charges be for redoing my 2011 taxes with the correct information?

Answer
Richard,

When filing a 1040X you would provide copies of any form that changed.  It would include the ones you mention, but could also include Schedule A if your AGI changed and you had deductible medical or miscellaneous itemized deductions. I don't know how complex your return is, but it could conceivably affect other forms in which the deduction or credit is phased out due to income level and your income level changed, affecting that deduction or credit.

I do accept clients. My charge for a 1040-X that only affected the documents you mention would be $175.  If it got more complex, there could be additional charges.  You can go to www.johnstancilcpa.com for my contact information.

Thanks.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA