Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/health insurance deduction for self employed

Question
I am self employed and have my own health insurance policy. My wife was not working and on COBRA all of 2012. She helps with my business but we are not officially business partners.

Do you know if the IRS self-employed health insurance deduction is disallowed for my wife's premiums because we had separate policies? COBRA is not employer subsidized and my business is profitable so I'm fine there.

IRS form 535 says, "For self­ employed individuals filing a Schedule C, C­EZ, or F, a policy can be ei­ther in the name of the business or in the name of the individual."

It doesn't specify anything about separate policies.

Answer
Theo,

Thanks for your question.

No, you cannot deduct the COBRA payments as self-employed health insurance.  As a matter of fact, they would not be deductible even if it was insurance on you.  The IRS position is that COBRA is health insurance provided through the previous employer and not eligible for the deduction.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA