Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/IRA funds to pay medical insurance premiums

Question
John, thank you taking my question. My wife received unemployment benefits in 2011 and is just now (April 2, 2013)needing/wanting to use funds from her IRA (before retirement age) to pay health insurance premiums...can she do so without tax penalty? Similarly, can she roll IRA into a Roth IRA and then withdraw funds early (before retirement)to pay health insurance premiums? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Answer
James,

Thanks for your question.

Distribution from an IRA to an unemployed individual to pay for health insurance after leaving a job if the individual has received unemployment compensation for 12 consecutive weeks is an exception to the 10% penalty.  You would still owe income tax on the distribution.

If you roll the IRA into a Roth, you will pay tax on the rollover.  Any withdrawals from a Roth are first considered principal, then earnings.  No tax or penalty on the withdrawal of principal.  But the Roth must be in place for five years to avoid a penalty unless an exception applies.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA