Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/LLC or Corp

I have a package courier route where I get paid with a 1099 and I am my only employee I have no inventory to claim I only have the labor    I will write off my vehicle expenses and expect to make no more than  $30,000  which is the best way for me to set up  in New Jersey   where the tax paper work is a minimum

Thanks for your question.

First, you should know that any business entity you select is not retroactive.  Anything you have done to this point is simply a sole proprietorship, filing a Schedule C as a part of your 1040.

An LLC is the simpler form of organization to set up, as it does not require many of the legal formalities of a corporation.  An LLC is a disregarded entity with respect to the IRS, meaning that you choose how to be taxed.  The default would be as a sole proprietor (or partnership if more than one owner), but you may elect S Corporation or C Corporation.

The most simple approach would be to form an LLC for the liability protection, then file it as a sole proprietorship on Schedule C. To form an LLC you must complete the proper paperwork and submit it to the New Jersey.  This can be done online at  

In addition, you should apply to the IRS for a Federal tax ID number. This can also be done online at

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University