Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/LLC or Corp

Question
I have a package courier route where I get paid with a 1099 and I am my only employee I have no inventory to claim I only have the labor    I will write off my vehicle expenses and expect to make no more than  $30,000  which is the best way for me to set up  in New Jersey   where the tax paper work is a minimum

Thanks

Answer
Karl,

Thanks for your question.

First, you should know that any business entity you select is not retroactive.  Anything you have done to this point is simply a sole proprietorship, filing a Schedule C as a part of your 1040.

An LLC is the simpler form of organization to set up, as it does not require many of the legal formalities of a corporation.  An LLC is a disregarded entity with respect to the IRS, meaning that you choose how to be taxed.  The default would be as a sole proprietor (or partnership if more than one owner), but you may elect S Corporation or C Corporation.

The most simple approach would be to form an LLC for the liability protection, then file it as a sole proprietorship on Schedule C. To form an LLC you must complete the proper paperwork and submit it to the New Jersey.  This can be done online at https://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/treasury/revenue/dcr/filing/page1.cgi.  

In addition, you should apply to the IRS for a Federal tax ID number. This can also be done online at http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Empl(EIN)-Online.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA