Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Mortgage Debt Forgiveness

Question
John,
I purchased a home in 2007 and lived in it as my primary home until the middle of 2011 when I rented it out.  I am contemplating doing a short sale on the home which should result in a cancellation of debt of about $50,000.  Will the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act apply in this case so that I will not have to declare the $50,000 as taxable income?  If not, will moving back into the home before the sale change anything?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Michael,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, for you, the law was written so that when it became a rental unit, it was no longer classified as a primary residence.  The ability to exclude the COD income is contingent on it being your primary residence. So right now, it is classified as a rental and would not be eligible to exclude the COD income.

If you moved back in, it would become your primary residence.  If it was your primary residence for 24 of the previous 60 months, it would qualify for the exclusion of the COD income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA