Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/musical instrument sale

Question
In 2012 I sold a musical instrument that I used professionally.  I bought it in 1991, and in subsequent years spent more money on it for repairs and maintenance.  I sold it for more than the original sale price, and am wondering if I can add the cost of repairs to the original cost on my tax return.  I'm an employee of an orchestra and am wondering about the right way to go about reporting the sale on my tax return.  Thanks very much in advance for whatever help you can offer!

Answer
David,

The cost of repairs cannot be added to your cost.  Actually, if you depreciated the cost of the instrument or if you expensed it outright, you have an reduced basis in the instrument.

For example, if you expensed it, your basis is now zero, so the entire sale price is profit.  If you depreciated it, the current book value is your basis and any excess over that basis is profit.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA