Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Overpaid wages - repaid in subsequent year, but don't itemize

Question
I was overpaid $1,500 in wages from a payroll error in 2012.  I repayed it to my employer in 2013.  From what I've read i get a deduction for this on my 2013 tax return.  However, I do not itemize!  Is this my loss or do i need to take another route?  I dont think i have to file an ammended return from what I've read from your previous response to a similar question.  Since it's less than 3K ans i wont benefit from itemizing, what should i do?

Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Mike:

In this situation the employer must give you a corrected w-2 for the year of 2012 or make an adjustment to the 2013 w-2.  Since you were over paid in 2012 its my opinion that the adjustment must be made for 2012.  In that case you would file a 1040X.

John

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell