Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/reduced maxiumum exclusion

Question
I owned my home for 10 years and rented it out for 3.4 years. I had to move out and live with family when I was laid off and collected unemployment starting March 2009.  I rented it and sold it as a short sale in September 2012 and received a 1099C. I tried to sell it sooner but the market was bad. Do I meet criteria for a safe harbor to use the reduced maximum exclusion?  On Form 982 can I use the either exclusion for principal residence or for qualified real property business debt?
Thank you!

Answer
Christine,

Thanks for your question.

You do not meet the exclusion criteria, as the house was not occupied by your as your main home for 24 of the previous 60 months prior to sale.  Since is it not a principal residence, it does qualify as business property.  You will report the COD income and the gain or loss on the sale.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA