Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Self Employment for monir child

Question
My 16 year old started taking commissions this year for sewing projects.  She receives orders for custom work and some of the work can be quite costly.  So far she has only taken commissions for small orders but Summer is lining up to be a several thousand dollar Summer!  My question is about filing taxes based on self employment.  She wants to only work on her commissions this Summer as her sole income.  How will we deal with her tax liability?  I'm not even sure where to start.  I know that she will need to charge sales tax.  (We are in NY.  The projects are considered clothing but some orders are over $110 each)  Does she need to actually become a business (with DBA and the works) or can we just pay sales tax to NY and file a schedule C for 2013 taxes?  Any help in the right direction will be much appreciated!

Answer
Amanda,

Thanks for your question.

She can file her taxes as a Schedule C sole proprietorship which doesn't require any legal formalities.  The Schedule C will be a part of her 1040 and she will also need to include a Schedule SE for the self-employment taxes.

She will need to register with the state for sales tax and make payments to them, probably quarterly.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA