Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Using IRA to pay for medical expenses and premiums

Question
I am 56 years old, unemployed and pay for my monthly medical insurance premiums out of my own pocket in addition to my other medical expenses.  I need to use funds from my IRA to help pay off these costs.  

I know I would owe taxes on the amount I take our but can I avoid the 10% penalty if I use the IRA funds to pay off these expenses?  

Should my monthly medical insurance premiums be included with my other medical expenses subject to costs exceeding 7.5% of my AGI or are they accounted for separately in which case I can pay off the entire amount?

How would I account for this on form 5329?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Thanks for your question.

You can withdraw from your IRA to pay for any medical expense that would be deductible on Schedule A.  However, only the amount withdrawn that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income can be excepted from the penalty.

On line 2, use code 5 on Form 5329.

Distributions from an IRA to an unemployed individual to pay for health insurance after leaving a job if you have received unemployment compensation for 12 consecutive weeks.  Use code 7.  If taking this route, do not include the health insurance in the code 5 amount.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA