Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/dependent qualification


Our 19 year old daughter has moved out of our house and is sharing an apartment in the same town. When I do my taxes next year, could I still claim her as a dependent even though she will have been at our house less than half the year? I do her tax returns and it would certainly be in our favor to claim her on our return. She works parttime but only makes $5000/yr and is enrolled as a full time college student. We will still provide most of her expenses, including college, vehicle, and medical care. I know technically we can't claim her because of the residency test, but would there be a way around this? How would the IRS even know if her mailing address stays with our house.

How would they (IRS) know is not the legal threshold that you want to rely upon, is it?

Actually upon second thought,   The fact she is "away at college" allows you to take her as resident of your home - as long as she is considered full time student.

You get her from jan 1 till when she goes to college...  And you provide more than half her support.  So it would seem to me as she meets the test.  (I do hope her apartment is closer to school than your home?)

Voila.   You win!

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.