You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Expatriate Purchasing Vacation Home in US


IJ, I am an expat living overseas for 5 years and do not maintain a residence in the US, but do retain my TX drivers license as this was the last state I lived in.  This is really the only claim that I have to TX since mail is going to parents address. TX does not have any state tax liability.

I am planning to purchase a vacation home in Montana which does have state tax liability so I want to avoid triggering residency. Is there anything that I need to do to avoid giving MT a chance to claim me as a non-resident and tax overseas income?  Will it weaken my position if my mortgage application states the condo as my "primary residence" given this is the only piece of US realestate I own.  I can apply as a vacation home, but will pay a slightly higher rate if this gives me a better chance to fight MT state tax liability.  Thanks Nathan

Dear Nathan,

Purchase of vacation home in Montana will not trigger residency. Having a primary residency indeed will weaken your position.
The rules for residency requirements in Montana are unambiguous:

You are a resident of Montana for individual income tax purposes if you live in Montana or if you maintain a permanent home in Montana. A permanent home in Montana means a dwelling place you habitually use as your home, whether or not you own it and whether or not you may someday leave.

It is worthwhile to apply for mortgage for a vacation home to avoid the risk of paying state tax on worldwide income.

Please also see for the overview of expat state tax position.

Hope this helps,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.