Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Hunt Club Tax Exemption

Question
My husband and I are leasing land for our Hunt Club.  We are not yet sure how many hunters the land can support. So at this time it is the two of us and the name of the club is our last name with Hunt club attached.  We have attire that also shows this, member rules and regulations etc.  We wanted to see if we can apply for a social club tax exemption as a hunt club. But, cannot find anywhere how many members a hunt club must have to get that status.  If we decide to just keep the two of us because the land will not support more hunters can we still get that tax exemption status

Answer
Do you ask about exemption for a club for the IRS income tax regulations? which it would seem as though you are not making income (charging fees or other costs or services for running the club - so there is no real income tax issue here). from what i see...

for state or local property tax it would seem is your aim to get the status as exempt...

you would have to register with the IRS or the state to get this... you will need form 1024 (pasted below in the homework section).

this is a good start for your homework reading for tonight..

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Other-Non-Profits

and

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/k1024.pdf

it would seem to me that c5 agricultural or c7 social/fraternal is the way to go.  

your somewhat apprehensive approach to the second question - can you get the exemption for just you two, gives an underlying incredulity that you suspect is probably right.. you might be hard pressed to win many arguments that your hunt club only has you and your husband...

I think you are asking for trouble...

most states have open space exemptions for forrest land. That might be the clearer and easier path to get the costs down on your leased land...  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa