Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Hunt Club Tax Exemption


My husband and I are leasing land for our Hunt Club.  We are not yet sure how many hunters the land can support. So at this time it is the two of us and the name of the club is our last name with Hunt club attached.  We have attire that also shows this, member rules and regulations etc.  We wanted to see if we can apply for a social club tax exemption as a hunt club. But, cannot find anywhere how many members a hunt club must have to get that status.  If we decide to just keep the two of us because the land will not support more hunters can we still get that tax exemption status

Do you ask about exemption for a club for the IRS income tax regulations? which it would seem as though you are not making income (charging fees or other costs or services for running the club - so there is no real income tax issue here). from what i see...

for state or local property tax it would seem is your aim to get the status as exempt...

you would have to register with the IRS or the state to get this... you will need form 1024 (pasted below in the homework section).

this is a good start for your homework reading for tonight..


it would seem to me that c5 agricultural or c7 social/fraternal is the way to go.  

your somewhat apprehensive approach to the second question - can you get the exemption for just you two, gives an underlying incredulity that you suspect is probably right.. you might be hard pressed to win many arguments that your hunt club only has you and your husband...

I think you are asking for trouble...

most states have open space exemptions for forrest land. That might be the clearer and easier path to get the costs down on your leased land...  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.