Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxes on sale of gifted land

Question
HI,

My parents gifted us land 5 years ago and we recently sold the property for 75000.  We used all of the proceeds to buy a new home.  My questions is would we owe capital gains on the proceeds minus  my parents cost basis or would we be able to avoid the taxes because it was reinvested in real estate.   I have also heard that you can deduct it from the inheritance taxes.  Could you please help me,  I live in Connecticut if that helps.

Thanks- Mark

Answer
Mark,

Thanks for your question.

You will owe tax at the capital gain rate on the excess of the sale price (minus selling expenses) over your parents' cost basis.  What you do with the proceeds does not have any effect on its taxability.

The gift will reduce the amount of estate tax exclusion you parents have.  Inheritance taxes strictly state, not federal, taxes so I can't speak to CT.  However, I doubt it will have any effect on your inheritance taxes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA