Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Unemployment and 1099 in California

Question
Hello,

I know it may vary from state to state, so I'd like to first clarify this is for California.

Someone I know was laid off in Feb 2013. He then filed for Unemployment and began collecting. He is still collecting checks.

Recently, about 2 months, he was offered a freelance job, which he signed a 1099 form for.

The question is; Is he still legally qualified to receive those unemployment checks? If not, what are the penalties and should be done now?

Note: this persons employer treats him as a formal employee not a contractor. He is required to go into an office to work a regular schedule. Can he be penalized for this as well?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Nay,

Thanks for your question.

He can't be penalized  but his employer can get into trouble with the IRS for misclassifying him as a contractor when he is indeed an employer.

Since he is self-employed he no longer qualifies for unemployment.  If he continues to draw it, he is guilty of fraud.  I do not know what penalties there are in CA for this, but it could involve a jail term or a hefty fine.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA