Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/2nd home for family member

Question
I am buying a 2nd home 3 miles away from mine for my mother-in-law.  As I understand it for IRS purposes:
"lending the house to family members or charging them a rate below the market value counts toward the 14 days of personal use" making it a personal property.

But, if she pays below market rent for the property, would it then become a rental property with taxable income vice a personal property with deductible property taxes and interest.

Answer
Whether or not it is a personal residence or a rental, the property taxes and interest are deductible.

the 14 day personal use limitation allows you to rent your primary residence to someone else for any amount of rent and not have to account for that "Less than 15 days during one year" of income as taxable.

If you rent the house for 15 days or more then you do have to account.

So, Yes you can buy a house, rent it to your Mother-In-Law for any amount you choose. You can deduct the reasonable and necessary expenses. if you make a profit on the annual revenue you will have to pay taxes on it. If you rent it for less than your costs, you will subsidize the house with your personal income that has been taxed.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler