Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Estate Tax

Question
Hello
I am the executrix of an estate which opened in 2011.  In 2012, the home in the estate was sold at a loss of $20k (selling expenses).  There was also one distribution to beneficiaries in 2012.  There was no other activity in the estate (interest income was $9).  The estate will close in 2013.

I filed a 1041, and will amend depending on responses.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to file a k-1 for the beneficiaries with the $3,000 capital loss flowing through to their return?  Then in the final return in 2013, report the loss less $3K?

OR, do I not file a k-1 with any loss until 2013 (when estate is closed) and put the entire loss on the k-1.

If this is true, does a k-1 need to be filed in 2012?

2) Does the distribtion need to be reported somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Linda

Answer
Linda,

Thanks for your question.

The loss on the sale of the house is fully reported on line 4 of page 1 of the 1041 in the year of sale.

The full loss is not included on line 1 of the K-1, but on line 4a as a negative amount.  Each beneficiary then applies the loss to his or her return as applicable.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA