Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Personal Taxes

Question
I have not been given a W-2 since 2008, when I last filed a return.  I have not filed taxes since 2008 because every year since then, my income has been way under $8,000, which I thought was the minimum threshold for having to file a tax return.  I am expecting a K-1 and W-2 for 2012 (my total personal income was $2,875.00 and no taxes were taken out of any of my checks).  Do I still need to file for 2012 if I know my income is again going to be way under $8,000?  I have not filed for an extension since 2008 either.

Answer
Sharon,

Thanks for your question.

It depends on your filing status, age, and the nature of your income.  If you are under 65 and single, you don't have to file if your income is under $9,750.  However, if your income is self-employment income you must file and pay self-employment tax if your profit from self-employment is $400 or more.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA