Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Spouses residents of different states

Question
A married couple files their federal income tax return using Married Filing Jointly.  Prior to 2010, the couple were full-time residents of Illinois and filed in Illinois as Married Filing Jointly.  

Due to employment situation, the husband's job was transferred to Iowa, about five hours away from their home in Illinois.  Husband is now a full-time resident of Iowa by renting a house and working in Iowa and having Iowa state tax withheld.  Husband comes to Illinois to visit family one weekend a month.  Wife is still a full-time resident of Illinois continuing to live in the house that both husband and wife owns jointly and continuing to work in Illinois having Illinois state income tax withheld.  

How should their income tax be handled?  They will continue to file federal as MFJ.  Since each state withheld income taxes for each spouse, they will need to file both Illinois and Iowa tax returns.  What status should they use on these returns and should they file resident or nonresident returns for each state?

Thank you

Answer
Steve,

Thanks for your question.

For Illinois, if you file a joint federal return and one spouse is a full-year Illinois resident while the other is a part-year resident or a nonresident (e.g., military personnel), you may choose to file “married filing separately.” Do not recompute any items on your federal return. Instead, you must divide the income shown on your joint federal return between your separate Illinois returns following the federal Form 8379, Part III.

For Iowa, you should also file a separate return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA