Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax break on not claimed dependent?

Question
How can I claim a tax break for paying the college tuition of a child I donít claim on my taxes?
I will be paying half my child's college tuition, but her father (who I am divorced from) claims her on his taxes.  Can I GIFT my child my half of her tuition and claim this on my taxes for a write off or is there another payment option that I can receive a tax benefit from?

Answer
Stephanie,

Thanks for your question.

You can't.

In order to take the education credits, you must be able to take a dependency exemption on your taxes.

You can make a gift of the tuition to your child but gifts are not deductible for income tax purposes, so it doesn't give you any tax benefit.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA