Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Free Meals

Question
Two examples:
We have employees that attend local and regional utility contractor association meetings, day trip only, that some are held at restaurants.  The meetings will take place either right before or immediately after eating.  We have not paid for these meals in the past.  Employees want to be able to put these meals on the company credit card.  Would these be tax free for the employee?

We have employees that go to call on potential members, local and regional, day trip only, and go to eat afterward (not with the potential clients)  They want to be able to put these meals on the company card – tax free? Non-reportable as a fringe?

Our employees also represent our company at various Trade Shows. There are always 2 employees attending so each can take a short break to go grab lunch.  Many of these shows are held over weekends but locally requiring no overnight travel.  Our normal business week is Mon-Fri.  Can these meals be put on the company card and be tax free to the employee also?

Answer
Lisa,

Thanks for your question.

Meals that are purchased as a part of a conference are non-taxable to the employee when reimbursed or paid for on behalf of the employee.

Meals consumed as a part of trade show participation are also non-taxable to the employee as above.

Meals consumed as after calling on clients are taxable income unless the meal is entertainment that includes the client.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA